Punctuated equilibrium –this is the theory that natural
selection (and consequently, speciation) doesn’t actually occur as a gradual,
constant process over the course of millennia. Rather, evolution happens when
periods of scarcity necessitate big changes in rapid bursts. When this term came
up in a recent discussion about evolutionary biology, I thought of how the
concept applies in a more abstract way to individual lives. Most of my own life
has been about going through the motions. When my life is routine, I can coast
through days, weeks, and months without looking back or forward very much. But when
change happens, it’s big and it happens fast. Going to high school, going to
college, graduating from college, becoming independent – even though these
major events are planned and calculated, they denote a shift in lifestyle, and
for many of us that’s accompanied by reinventing ourselves. I don’t completely
expect to emerge from my time in Vietnam as a different, better version of myself,
but it seems it would be a waste if I don’t grow at all as a person. Aside from
the mid-twenties identity crisis, I have other motives – I want to have fun, I
want to meet people, I want to prove that I’m not a kid anymore, I want to make
the most of being young and debt-free. Hopefully there are other reasons for
doing this that aren’t quite as self-serving, but I’d be lying if I said I know
what they are. Anyways, my flight’s about to board. Gotta be present for that
moment.
This is insightful. Are you comparing your journey abroad to punctuated equilibrium? I like it. I have experienced a similar concept: a paradigm shift.
ReplyDelete