Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Phở Appreciation Post

So, last night, one of the few wholly unpleasant things that has happened to me here, happened. I got food poisoning. Basically, I hadn’t eaten much all day and I was ravenous by the time dee-rish-us Indian takeout arrived at 11pm. So naturally I chowed tf down, like the #NoRagrets glutton that I am (hashtag just for you, Dad.) A few hours later, the eagerness with which I had welcomed this food into my body was met by brutal rejection from my GI tract. Raaagret. So much ragret. You know what they say – first impressions are misleading, it’s what’s on the inside that counts. Or something. The only wisdom I’ve pieced together from this unfortunate episode is a rule of thumb: the more delightful it tastes on the way down, the ghastlier it is going to feel coming back up. One of those punishing inverse relationships on the spectrum of pleasure and agony.  


Thankfully I seem to be fully recovered now. This is in large part due to the magical healing properties of world-renowned Vietnamese Phở. Listen people, there is NO better recovery food in the world than phở. Not on the face of God’s green earth. It doesn’t matter if your ailment is a mammoth hangover, a chronic condition, a broken heart, or some horrific combination of all three. Phở is the answer to your prayers. I promise. Just look at this bowl smiling at you:

Note: Phở is pronounced “fuhh.” Not “foe.” It's not your foe. 
If that doesn’t convince you, consider my 100% non-expert nutritive analysis.
  • Phở is made from only fresh ingredients - broth, chicken or beef, rice noodles, a few herbs and greens. 
  • No sugar. No dairy. No gluten. No chemicals.
  • It's the perfect solution of protein, sodium, carbs and vitamins to revive you from your pitifully weak, dehydrated state.
  • The toppings come on the side so you can have flavor at your own risk.
  • It tastes awesome and it's easy on your stomach.

So what do you do when you’re sooo over the gatorade and toast diet, but you know that a good ole burger would send you right back to the bathroom-shaped hellhole you just crawled out of? You say phởckkkkkk yeah.

Your body will thank you.

6 comments:

  1. This post was awesome haha. I love pho, my family makes it all the time! I can honestly agree 100% on it's abilities. When I first started reading, I didn't know what I was getting myself into, I thought you were bringing us on a journey and the next stop was your colon.

    I'm glad you love pho as much as my family and others do. Of course many people do it differently, but I'm glad you are having a genuine, authentic bowl rather than what may be altered here in the states. Looking forward to your next post :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe! Yeah I figured I would spare y'all the dirty details in favor of the main point - pho is wonderful! Glad to find someone who enjoys and appreciates it as much as me. I doubt that it's quite as good in the US unless you're at an authentic restaurant, but I still think people should try it! Thanks for the feedback :)

      Delete
  2. This post was awesome haha. I love pho, my family makes it all the time! I can honestly agree 100% on it's abilities. When I first started reading, I didn't know what I was getting myself into, I thought you were bringing us on a journey and the next stop was your colon.

    I'm glad you love pho as much as my family and others do. Of course many people do it differently, but I'm glad you are having a genuine, authentic bowl rather than what may be altered here in the states. Looking forward to your next post :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your pun at the end hahaha. This post made me hungry while I'm in the library right now...living vicariously through you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always Pho Kim Long on McCullough! Good luck with the home stretch of senior year...you make me feel old!

      Delete
  4. Excellent bait and switch! haha!

    Phở always needs more proponents... can't wait to see what we discover together!

    ReplyDelete