So after 6 months of communicating largely through hand
gestures, caveman grunts, and pleading smiles, I finally bit the bullet and
invested in actual Vietnamese lessons. Yep, I could have done this like, wayyyyyy earlier than I did. Here’s the summation of what I’ve learned about
the Vietnamese language so far, and by so far, I mean mostly in the past 3
weeks.
Like Chinese, Vietnamese is a monosyllabic language. Since
most words are only one syllable, the putative lexicon is very restricted.
However, expression is not limited by the size of the vocabulary. Instead, two
or more words are grouped together to form a more holistic meaning. In English,
words that often occur together are called collocations. I don't think it’s
really accurate to say that Vietnamese is a language of collocations. It’s similar to the way that English words use prefixes and suffixes, although not
exactly the same. The building block words have much more abstract meanings.
Moreover, they don’t typically have an exact translation. Hence transcribing
word by word into English can produce amusing results. Here are a few of my favorite
examples:
Helmet – nón bảo hiểm – “hat insurance”
Refrigerator – tủ lạnh – “cold stomach”
And there are some that really don’t make sense in English:
To request –yêu cầu– “love bridge”
As you can see, the spaces between ‘words’ don’t necessarily
denote the beginning and end. That makes deconstructing long sentences difficult, especially with a novice understanding of the grammar. For the same
reason, Google Translate is hopeless unless you’re just trying to look up one
word with a fairly concrete definition. Even the most sophisticated translation software probably wouldn’t be able to pick up on the nuances because English and
Vietnamese are about as different as two languages can be.
But they do have one major thing in common – the use of the Roman
alphabet. That was actually part of my rationale for choosing Vietnam over
other Southeast Asian destinations. Going to a new country where I didn’t know
anyone and couldn’t speak the language seemed magnitudes scarier when compounded
with being totally illiterate. Vietnam uses a modified alphabet developed in
the 16th Century by the French Jesuit missionary Alexandre de Rhodes.
So I can at least recognize words in text even if I have no idea
what they mean. And if I were any good at pronunciation, I’d be in the right
place too. That’s the really cool thing about Vietnamese writing – it’s almost
perfectly phonetic. Even the accents used to indicate tones are an illustration
of what your voice should be doing. The tones. Oh the tones. I could write an
entire post about the difficulty of Vietnamese intonation, but suffice to say
this feature of the language is foreign in every sense of the word. My Vietnamese
teacher introduced the concept of tones using a graph, which is a really
helpful visual. If you look at the image below and think of the y-axis representing
pitch, and the x-axis representing time, you can get a sense of the vocal
acrobatics required to speak proper Vietnamese.
I know that I won't ever sound like a natural, but that's no reason not to try. Hopefully I'll be completely fluent by the time this 40-hour course ends. Just kidding. There's definitely a loooottt of room for improvement.

Bravo, brave girl! Do they laugh when you try? I bet not.
ReplyDeleteGenna I just facetimed with Jessica and read this post to you, haha she said "I feel like I'm in Vietnam too!" we're glad to hear you're doing well :)
ReplyDelete*read this post to her I mean!
ReplyDeleteIt makes me so happy to know that you are still reading this! Miss chu Marcellery!!!
DeleteWow, super-thoughtful breakdown of the challenges involved in learning VN. Learning to express the tones is such a strange, personal journey...!
ReplyDeleteGreat post. :)